Re: How to debug permission denied issues?

Dear NFS folks,

On 05/16/17 13:06, Paul Menzel wrote:

With Linux 4.9.x there are issues, that the NFSD servers denies access to NFS mounts. Other clients can still connect fine. A restart of the *client* fixes the issue.

We believe that this is related to a restart of a NIS server, and that NFSD is now unable to authenticate the requests. Maybe some cache mismatch of some client identifications?

```
root:sigchld:~/# mount -v -t nfs hopp:/home/joey /mnt
mount.nfs: timeout set for Tue May 16 12:57:04 2017
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'vers=4,addr=141.14.25.186,clientaddr=141.14.16.120'
mount.nfs: mount(2): Permission denied
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting hopp:/home/joey
```

Could you please point me to the right direction, how this issue can be debugged?

A first step would be to get debug messages from NFSD, why exactly the permission was denied to mount the directory.

It turns out, this particular issue was indeed a NIS issue, that the client wasn’t in the netgroup anymore. So, I am sorry for the noise.

With Wireshark we were able to find the NFSD response `Bad credentials (seal broken)`, leading us in the right direction.

But my question remains, is there another way besides Tcpdump and/or Wireshark to analyze these things. Turning on some debugging logs?

Kind regards,

Paul