Re: READ during state recovery uses zero stateid

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 2:23 PM, Trond Myklebust <trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 24, 2016, at 14:10, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi-
>>
>> I have a wire capture that shows this race while a simple I/O workload is
>> running:
>>
>> 0. The client reconnects after a network partition
>> 1. The client sends a couple of READ requests
>> 2. The client independently discovers its lease has expired
>> 3. The client establishes a fresh lease
>> 4. The client destroys open, lock, and delegation stateids for the file
>> that was open under the previous lease
>> 5. The client issues a new OPEN to recover state for that file
>> 6. The server replies to the READs in step 1. with NFS4ERR_EXPIRED
>> 7. The client turns the READs around immediately using the current open
>> stateid for that file, which is the zero stateid
>> 8. The server replies NFS4_OK to the OPEN from step 5
>>
>> If I understand the code correctly, if the server happened to send those
>> READ replies after its OPEN reply (rather than before), the client would
>> have used the recovered open stateid instead of the zero stateid when
>> resending the READ requests.
>>
>> Would it be better if the client recognized there is state recovery in
>> progress, and then waited for recovery to complete, before retrying the
>> READs?
>>

> Why isn’t the session draining taking care of ensuring the READs don’t happen until after recovery is done?

This is NFSv4.0. (Apologies, I recalled NFS4ERR_EXPIRED had been removed
from NFSv4.1, but I see that I was mistaken).

Here's step 1 and 2, exactly. After the partition heals, the client sends:

C READ
C GETATTR
C READ
C RENEW

The server responds to the RENEW first with GSS_CTXPROBLEM. The client's
gssd connects and establishes a fresh GSS context. The client sends the
RENEW again with the fresh context, and the server responds NFS4ERR_EXPIRED.
This triggers step 3.

The replies for those READ calls are in step 6., after state recovery
has started.

--
Chuck Lever