Re: I can't get no readdir satisfaction

Apologies for the overlapping messages.. I had a mailer issue that caused me
to miss this message.

On 24 Aug 2016, at 8:18, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Aug 23, 2016, at 17:21, Benjamin Coddington <bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: So, for directories with a large number of entries that updates often, it can
be very slow to list the directory.

Why did 311324ad1713 change nfs_readdir from

if (nfs_attribute_cache_expired(inode))
   nfs_revalidate_mapping(inode, file->f_mapping);

if (nfs_attribute_cache_expired(inode) || nfsi->cache_validity & NFS_INO_INVALID_DATA)
   nfs_revalidate_mapping(inode, file->f_mapping);

As the commit message says, the whole purpose was to use READDIRPLUS as a substitute for multiple GETATTR calls when the heuristic tells us that the user is performing an ‘ls -l’ style of workload.

.. and can we go back to the way it was before?

Not without slowing down ‘ls -l’ on large directories.

Ah, so my musing is not about reverting the READDIRPLUS optimization, just
the bit where we revalidate the mapping if NFS_INO_INVALID_DATA.

I'll send a patch for that, let's see what happens to it!

OK.. I understand why -- it is more correct since if we know the directory has changed, we might as well fetch the change. Otherwise, we might be creating
files and then wondering why they aren't listed.

It might be nicer to not invalidate the mapping we're currently using for readdir, though. Maybe there's a way to keep the mapping for the currently
opened directory and invalidate it once it's closed.

 POSIX requires that you revalidate on opendir() and rewinddir(), and
 leaves behaviour w.r.t. file addition and removal after the call to
 opendir()/rewinddir() undefined
(http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/readdir.html).
 I believe most filesystems under Linux will ensure that if a file is
removed, it is no longer seen in the readdir stream, and a file that is added will be seen unless the readdir cursor has already passed it, so
 there is that to consider.

In the NFS case it would be up to the server to decide if it wants to throw
out the in-use cookiverf with BADCOOKIE, or just include the new file at
some later entry cookie. I think if the server wanted to insert the entry,
it must invalidate all currently in-use cookieverf values.

However correctness was not the main issue here.

I think by "here" you mean the READDIRPLUS optimization, and not the POSIX undefined behavior, in which case I take you to mean that the main issue was
performance.  That's the issue at hand for the case I described as well.
Dropping the mid-directory revalidation should keep the optimization for
your case and restore the optimization for this case.

Again, apologies for the messy mail thread.  :/

Ben