Re: Problem re-establishing GSS contexts after a server reboot

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 03:14:21PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:06 PM, bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > You should be able to use the same context with different services.
> >
> > Apologies, I haven't caught up with the whole discussion above, this one
> > point just jumped out at me.  If you're trying to request a whole new
> > gss context just so you can use, e.g., integrity instead of privacy,
> > then something's wrong.
>
> As I understand it, GSS contexts are fungible until they have been
> used. On first use, the context is bound to a particular service.
> Subsequently it cannot be used with another service.
>
> The Solaris server seems to expect that separate GSS contexts are
> needed when the same UID employs different GSS services. If Solaris
> is wrong about this, can you show me RFC language that specifically
> allows it? I can take that back to the Solaris developers.

No, you're right, apologies; from https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2203

	Although clients can change the security service and QOP used on
	a per-request basis, this may not be acceptable to all RPC
	services; some RPC services may "lock" the data exchange phase
	into using the QOP and service used on the first data exchange
	message.

--b.