Re: Strange "SECINFO: security flavor .." messages

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 10:38:55PM +0000, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After restarting my server and a client re-automounts, I see the
> following in the server's dmesg:
>
> [  706.454187] NFS: SECINFO: security flavor 390003 is not supported
> [  706.454621] NFS: SECINFO: security flavor 390004 is not supported
> [  706.455057] NFS: SECINFO: security flavor 390005 is not supported
>
> I've been completely unsuccessful in trying to discern what these
> mean and how I can get rid of them; they don't seem to be harmful
> since everything else works just fine, and has done so for years.
> I think this started with NFS 4.2 not too long ago, but don't remember
> for certain. The server exports several mounts, ext4 and xfs.
> Clients use only NFS v4 via automount. All on 4.4.6.

What does "exportfs -v" say?  What about "cat
/proc/net/rpc/nfsd.export/content" right after the client's
mount/remount?

>From a quick glance at the code--I think that means the server believes
that the given export is meant to be available using the krb5 flavors
(krb5, krb5i, krb5p), but that the kernel doesn't support that flavor.

If that's because you've got something like "sec=sys:krb5:krb5i:krb5p"
set on that export, then that's a little odd and I think worth warning
about--you've asked the kernel to do something it can't do.

If nfs-utils is just adding those security flavors itself, then I agree
that the warning's unnecessary.  (Hm, I think it might be doing that at
least in the case of the automatically-generated v4 root.)

--b.