Re: async CLOSE creates a race with a DELEGRETURN followed by a REMOVE

On Sep 3, 2015, at 8:18 PM, Olga Kornievskaia <aglo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Trond Myklebust
> <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2015 18:08, "Olga Kornievskaia" <aglo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Yes i think somehow a delegreturn should be made to wait for close.
>>> Because this race also happens for other opens when close is sent
>>> async but I haven't pinned pointed the case. It looks like async write
>>> calls async close so perhaps that's it.
>>>
>>> Though how much are we saving by making CLOSE async vs making the code
>>> more complicated?
>>>
>> I'd far prefer reverting the asynchronous close if it is causing problems.
>> Serialisation is harder to get right. Particularly so when we need to do it
>> from within the context of the state manager thread....
>>

> Agreed.
>
> Also I'd like to point out that coordination with CLOSE needs to be
> done not only with DELEGRETURN but with REMOVE as well. In the current
> kernel, if open is done with O_DIRECT, then the code sets
> WANT_NO_DELEGATION flag and server does not give one. However, the
> close being asynchronous if followed by a REMOVE will cause EACCESS
> error if CLOSE arrives after the REMOVE.

NFS4ERR_ACCESS is allowed for REMOVE, but why would a server
return ACCESS in this case?

> I have a test case and setup where I delay the CLOSE via proxy and I
> have an open with O_DIRECT. I get no delegation and after I do close()
> and remove(), the latter fails.

Can this be fixed without causing a performance regression
for NFSv3, which is not afflicted by any of these ordering
requirements?

--
Chuck Lever