Re: Issue running buffered writes to a pNFS (NFS 4.1 backed by SAN) filesystem.

On 25/05/15 16:13, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 07:31:12PM +0100, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:
After 25 iterations (after creating a 25GiB file, for a cumulative total of
325GiB if including the testfile.1G -> testfile.24G) the issue occured
again. The IO rate to the SAN LUN dropped severely to a real 3MiB/sec
(measured at the SAN LUN block device level).

Also I've noticed that a kernel process is taking up 100% of one core at
least:

516 root      20   0       0      0      0 R 100.0  0.0  11:09.72
kworker/u49:4

Hi Christoph,

Can you send me the output of "perf record -ag" for that run?

I ran "perf record -ag" on the pNFS client and "trace-cmd record -e nfsd" (it seems to capture all layout* tracepoints) on the pNFS server (I figured there was no need to run it on the client, and anyways the trace wound up empty when I tried).

I then ran "dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/pnfs1/testfile.26G bs=1M count=26624" on the client (writing a 26GB file), waited about 20 seconds for the kworker issue to happen (it never happens immediately) and as soon as it started, waited another 10 seconds so that the trace has enough data to debug with.

All those three commands (perf record, trace-cmd and dd) where run within a 3-4 seconds window, so there should be not much "junk" perf trace at the beginning which has nothing to do with NFS.

Here's the link to the compressed perf record -ag+trace-cmd outputs (let me know if you need to use a different host provider than dropbox):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wou3hqb2go21gbw/traces.tar.gz?dl=0

Also can you send the output from trace-cmd for tracing all nfsd.layout*
tracepoints for such a run?

Would the 25GiB figure ring any bells to you? Would there be a way for me to
identify this workqueue (figure out if it is pNFS related)?

Perf record should help by looking at the cycles spent.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Ben.