RE: server_scope v4.1 lock reclaim

OK...I have to admit that with the amount of NFS HA tutorials and the
improvements that NFS v4(.1) brings in the specs, I assumed that HA failover
was supported. I apologize if that is not the case.

So, such a config option could be added but it's not planned to be added,
since it could be wrongly used in some situations (ie. not doing
active-to-passive failover)?
Active-active setup is then totally out of the question?

> In practice given current Linux servers and clients maybe that could
> work, because in your situation the only case when they see each other's
> stateid's is after a restart, in which case the id's will include a boot
> time that will result in a STALE error as long as the server clocks are
> roughly synchronized.  But that makes some assumptions about how our
> servers generate id's and how the clients use them.  And I don't think
> those assumptions are guaranteed by the spec.  It seems fragile.

I read (part of) the specs and stateids are supposed to hold over sessions
but not for different client ids.
Doing a wireshark dump, the (failover) server sends STALE_CLIENTID after
reconnect so that should properly invalidate all the ids?
Would I assume correctly that this is read from the nfsdcltrack? Is there
even a need for this database to sync between each failover, if the client
is already known since it's last failover (only the timestamp would be
older)?

> If it's simple active-to-passive failover then I suppose you could
> arrange for the utsname to be the same too.

I could, but then I don't know which server is active when I login to ssh :)
What would happen, if the 'migration' mount option would be modified for
v4.1 mounts not to check for server scope when doing reclaims (as opposed to
configuring server scope)? :)

Thanks,
Saso Slavicic