Re: File Read Returns Non-existent Null Bytes

> That's expected behaviour, yes. NFS close-to-open cache consistency
> semantics do not allow for concurrent access while the file is being
> updated.

Can you elaborate on that a bit?

My rough understanding of close-to-open cache consistency is basically
that a clients changes are not guaranteed to be on the server until a
close(2) and that a client is only guaranteed to check for updates on
open(2).

I can therefore see why one client reading while another is appending
could result in stale data being read from the cache (and indeed, this
is the reason the test program I provided continually open and closes
the file, seeking as necessary).  But I'm having a hard time seeing
why close-to-open cache consistency allows for returning data from the
cache that never existed in the file.