Re: Possible NFS 4.1 client vulnerability: uninitialized/garbage kfree() in decode_cb_sequence_args()

Hi David,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM, David Ramos <daramos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Trond,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Your patch looks good to me.
>
> On Feb 11, 2015, at 2:42 PM, Trond Myklebust
> <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> I can't see this issue as being exploitable without a fair amount of
>
> trouble because the above RPC request would be incoming on a TCP
> connection that was initiated by the NFSv4.1 client. If someone can do
> that level of spoofing, then they can cause all sorts of mischief for
> the client.
>

> That’s a fair point as far as spoofing. The attack vector I had in mind was
> one in which a client is induced to mount an NFS volume on a malicious
> server (either directly, through some DNS trickery, or via automount). Even
> if the client shouldn’t trust the “mischievous" files being from the server,
> we shouldn’t let the server crash the client machine. This is clearly not as
> compelling as a client attacking a server, but I think it’s worth
> considering.

If you are operating in that kind of hostile environment, then you
really should be using RPCSEC_GSS with krb5i or krb5p to protect your
payloads. I'll admit that we don't yet have proper support for
RPCSEC_GSS protection on the NFSv4.1 backchannel RPC requests, so the
particular spoofing scenario described above is still possible,
however the server and client will mutually identify each other via
RPCSEC_GSS when the TCP connection is being set up.

Cheers
  Trond
--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, PrimaryData