Re: what on earth is going on here? paths above mountpoints turn into "(unreachable)"

On 3 Feb 2015, nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx outgrape:

> On 3 Feb 2015, J. Bruce Fields spake thusly:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:25:18AM +0000, Nix wrote:
>>> I'm seeing this bizarre output after a long delay (memory pressure not
>>> required: vapoursynth, which was running here, is using a couple of gig
>>> out of 16GiB, and the machine has 12GiB in buffers/cache):
>>>
>>> FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '(unreachable)/Orphan-Black/1'
>>
>> Haven't really read this carefully, just noticed the ENOENT.  There was
>> 49a068f82a "rpc: fix xdr_truncate_encode to handle buffer ending on page
>> boundary" recently, fixing a problem introduced in 3.16 that could I
>> think cause an enoent if Orphan-Black/ was a large-ish directory.
>
> It's got three files in it. Orphan-Black/1 has fifteen. Way under, say,
> a page.
>
> The problem hasn't recurred since I mounted /usr/archive and
> /usr/archive/series explicitly rather than relying on nohide, so I'd
> guess the problem lies there: it is, after all, evil.

It doesn't. It still recurs.

If I cd out of the tree entirely (say, to /tmp) then back in, the
mountpoint often reconnects for all its users: if I do things in there
(e.g. an ls) it always seems to. If I cd within the disconnected subtree
via a relative path, it doesn't.

So running this often helps:

while sleep 300; do cd /usr/archive/series/Orphan-Black/2; ls > /dev/null; cd /tmp; done

but not always -- if the thing vanishes <300s before the last problem,
we're still in for it.

--
NULL && (void)