nfs client stat() performance degradation

Hi,

we're experiencing some troubling performance issues with our nfs clients.  One
of the symptoms is degraded performance of directory walks with hot caches and
expired attribute caches: "find -ls" in the kernel tree goes from about 4s
(cold caches) to 1.5s (hot vm caches) and then to 18s after actimeo.  Network
traffic increases by about the same amount.  "echo 3 >
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" brings back the initial performance (~4s), but so do
writing 1 or 2.

This was reported almost two years ago in https://bugs.debian.org/702477 but I
don't know if this is a known issue upstream.  Seen on various kernel versions,
up to 3.18.

Is there anything we can do to track this down, or are there known workarounds
for this?

Thanks,
Julien
--