Re: 3.18.1: broken directory with one file too many

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:48:56 -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On a quick skim, the server's READDIR responses look correct.  The entry
> btrfs-20141216-fix-a-warning-of-qgroup-account-on-shared-extents.patch
> is returned in frame 53 (with complete reassembled reply displayed by
> wireshark in frame 63).
>
> You could double-check for me--just run "wireshark nfs-server.pcap",
> look for packets labeled "Reply ... READDIR", and expand out the READDIR
> op and directory listing.  I don't see anything obviously wrong.

That's what I can see in Wireshark as well (#53 as part of the "20
reassembled segments"). As I said in my followup I don't think there is
anything wrong with that particular file since removing others "fixed"
the problem. That's why I suspected NIC/TCP buggery, and since my kernels
usually have a bunch of patches (the ones in that repo) I wanted to try
vanilla 3.18.0/1 as well as -3.14.27 first.

>> Meanwhile I'll try older/plain (unpatched) kernels. So far reverting
>> the client to vanilla 3.18.1 or 3.14.27 has not helped..
>
> I'm a little unclear: when you said "All this is on freshly baked
> 3.18.1", are you describing the client, or the server, or both?

That was on both. As I wrote in the followups I've now also tried to
first downgrade the clients (didn't help) and then finally found that
3.14.27 (both with and without my patches) on the server repeatably
works, regardless of client. Right now I have 3.18.1 as clients and
3.14.27 on the server, and that works fine.

I never noticed any other problems when first testing 3.18, which is why
switched over all machines; it has been working really well so far.
No other networking problems, and I use NFS all day long. If there really
was NIC packet corruption, NFS dropped requests or general page cache
borkage then I think I would have noticed something much earlier.

Maybe you can try to reproduce? Try git clone https://github.com/
hhoffstaette/kernel-patches and rewind to rev e7b720ef after which I
first noticed the problem. Then look at the 3.14 directory over NFS.

Let me know if there is anything else I can try!

regards,
Holger