NFS auto-reconnect tuning.

Hi!

I've got a scenario where I'm connected to a NFS share on a client, have a file descriptor open as read only (could also be write) on a file from that share, and I'm suddenly changing the IP address of that client.

Obviously, the NFS share will hang, so if I now try to read the file descriptor I've got open (here in Python), the "read" call will also hang.

However, the driver seems to attempt to do something (maybe save/determine whether the existing connection can be saved) and then, after about 20 minutes the driver transparently reconnects to the NFS share (which is what I wanted anyways) and the "read" call instantiated earlier simply finishes (I don't even have to re-open the file again or even call "read" again).

The dmesg prints I get are as follow:

[ 4424.500380] nfs: server 10.0.2.17 not responding, still trying <-- changed IP address and started reading the file. [ 4451.560467] nfs: server 10.0.2.17 OK <--- The NFS share was reconnected, the "read" call completes successfully.

I would like to know if there was any way to tune this behaviour, telling the NFS driver to reconnect if a share is unavailable after say 10 seconds.

I tried the following options without any success:

retry=0; hard/soft; timeo=3; retrans=1; bg/fg

I am running on a custom distro (homemade embedded distro, not based on anything in particular) running stock kernel 3.10.18 compiled for i686.

Would anyone know what I could do to force NFS into reconnecting a seemingly "dead" session sooner?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Ben - MPSTOR.