nfs4_state_manager() vs. nfs_server_remove_lists()

Hello,

I've been seeing a panic where nfs4_state_manager()
ends up processing an v3 nfs client pointer.

The panic happens at the top of nfs4_state_manager()
because clp->cl_mvops == NULL;

Looking at the pointer (via crash) it becomes obvious
it is  a V3 client point (AKA rpc_ops = nfs_v3_clientop)

Now the reason we are in the state manager code is a NFSv4
mount doing server discovery so it is waking the client list
in nfs41_walk_client_list()

Now looking at the at the entire stack with crash, the
only time that v3 client pointer appears is after
nfs41_walk_client_list() has been called so I'm 99%
sure the pointer is coming from the cl_share_link list.

So the question is how is that v3 client pointer on that
list, in non NFS_CS_READY state.

Well, simultaneously a V3 mount is happening. In nfs_fs_mount_common()
it notices there is already a existing supper block sit decides to
free its server pointer so nfs_server_remove_lists() is called.

What  nfs_server_remove_lists() and nfs41_walk_client_list()
have in common is the nfs_client_lock spin lock.

Also the client pointer in the server pointer being freed is
in a non NFS_CS_READY state

To answer the question, the v3 client pointer, in a non
NFS_CS_READY state, is found by nfs41_walk_client_list()
because it beat nfs_server_remove_lists() to the
nfs_client_lock spin lock.

nfs41_walk_client_list() finds the uninitialized client
pointer nfs_server_remove_lists() is trying to free and
processes it and then fall over...

Note this was very hard to reproduce since a very large client
(many cores) is needed and a very fast server and a few
hours...

Question, since both v3 and v4 clients are on the cl_share_link
list should there be a check in nfs41_walk_client_list() to
process only v4 clients?

steved.