RE: Patch For Making Readdir_plus configurable

Hi Christopher,

Customer is having mixed of NFS client OS setups and having this at server side would help to avoid having each client mount with this option.

From: Christopher T Vogan [mailto:cvogan@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:23 PM
To: Rishi Agrawal
Cc: linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Rajesh Ghanekar; Ram Pandiri; Sreeharsha Sarabu; Abhijit Dey; Tushar Shinde; bfields@xxxxxxxxxx; steved@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patch For Making Readdir_plus configurable

There is a client side option "nordirplus" which can be used to force the client to use READDIR

Christopher Vogan
NFS Development & Test

From:        Rishi Agrawal <Rishi_Agrawal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:        Rajesh Ghanekar <Rajesh_Ghanekar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ram Pandiri <ram_pandiri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sreeharsha Sarabu <Sreeharsha_Sarabu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Abhijit Dey <Abhijit_Dey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tushar Shinde <Tushar_Shinde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bfields@xxxxxxxxxx" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxx>, "steved@xxxxxxxxxx" <steved@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07/25/2014 11:24 AM
Subject:        Patch For Making Readdir_plus configurable
Sent by:        linux-nfs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
   One of our customer's application only needs file names not
file attributes. With directories having 10K+ inodes (assuming buffer
cache has directory blocks cached having file names, but inode
cache is limited and hence need eviction of older cached inodes),
older inodes are evicted periodically. So if they keep on doing
readdir(2) from NSF client on multiple directories, some directory's
files are periodically removed from inode cache and hence new
readdir(2) on same directory requires disk access to bring back
inodes again to inode cache.

As READDIRPLUS request fetches attributes also, doing getattr on
each file on server, it causes unnecessary disk accesses. If
READDIRPLUS on NFS client is returned with -ENOTSUPP, NFS
client uses READDIR request which just gets the names of the files
in a directory, not attributes, hence avoiding disk accesses on server.

Can this be per-export tunable so that different application can
use it in different ways, some supporting readdirplus and others
not supporting readdirplus?

I have worked on a patch against 3.15.6 for this. Also I am
adding a patch against latest nfs-utils to have an export option
for this. Can someone let me know if these patches are adequate
or if any other changes are required. Patches attached, although
with minimal testing. I would like to know if something like this
can be added and if the patch can be reworked if I am missing
something for NFSv4.

Regards,
Rishi Agrawal

[attachment "patch_linux-kernel-3-15-6" deleted by Christopher T Vogan/San Jose/IBM] [attachment "patch_nfs-utils-1.3" deleted by Christopher T Vogan/San Jose/IBM]