Re: Execute only permission issue with client

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Frank Filz <ffilzlnx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, got another question related...
>
> I am running a test that does make the following system call:
>
> open("/mnt/foo", O_CREAT | O_TRUNC | O_RDWR, 0);
>
> This fails (at least when run from my Fedora 20 client, against either Ganesha OR knfsd).

The test fails, or the open() fails?

> When I look at a wireshark trace, I see that the sequence of ops in the COMPOUND is:
>
> OPEN, ACCESS
>
> I would expect the ACCESS to fail since the created file has mode 000.

According to POSIX, the above open() system call should succeed if a
file /mnt/foo already exists and that file's ACL/mode is compatible
with the requested O_RDWR access pattern. The open() should also
succeed if a file /mnt/foo does not exist, and your process has valid
file create permissions for the directory /mnt (it will create a file
/mnt/foo with the mode bits set to 0).

In both cases, the result should be a valid file descriptor that can
be used for reading and writing.

--
Trond Myklebust

Linux NFS client maintainer, PrimaryData

trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx