Re: v4.0 CB_COMPOUND authentication failures

> > But, I don't know, I'm frankly confused about our security design for
> > the NFSv4 state.
> >
> > When we insist on krb5 (and checked the server name correctly), and
> > failed without it, then I feel like I understand what we're doing.  Once
> > we start trying it and then falling back (as I understand happens for
> > the krb5 state in the auth_sys case) I get confused.
>
> Now you have me confused. I’m aware that we call nfs_create_rpc_client() with a krb5i argument and then fall back to auth_sys if the RPC layer says that we don’t have a running gss daemon or that we can’t load the rpcsec_gss_krb5 module. I’m not aware of us falling back if rpc.gssd is running and tells us that security negotiation failed; we should be returning a mount error in that case.

Oh, good, that sounds fine--I'd forgotten it worked that way.

So the problem occurs just because gssd and/or the kerberos libraries
are allowing us to establish state using a different name and then we're
not accepting it on the return.

So:

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 12:22:51PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> How is it not better just to rip out that hostname comparison in the
> back channel?

Rip it out entirely?

At that point anyone who can get a credential in the right realm can
send a recall.  RFC made this requirement to prevent that.

But we've already decided we don't care about that in the 4.1 case, so,
hey, maybe.  I guess it wouldn't bother me.

--b.