Re: v4.0 CB_COMPOUND authentication failures

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 10:46:52 -0400
Dr Fields James Bruce <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 10:23:37AM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > > Argh, OK, I guess this is the compromise Simo made in "Avoid DNS reverse
> > > resolution for server names (take 3)".

> > > I wish we could do that, but I suppose it's too harsh to break
> > > already-working fstabs.  Maybe we could phase it in somehow.

> > This suggestion makes no sense to me at all. How does it help to fall back to using weak security when the strong security checks fail?
>
> It'd fix this particular problem.
>
> But, I don't know, I'm frankly confused about our security design for
> the NFSv4 state.
>
> When we insist on krb5 (and checked the server name correctly), and
> failed without it, then I feel like I understand what we're doing.  Once
> we start trying it and then falling back (as I understand happens for
> the krb5 state in the auth_sys case) I get confused.

> > > It might be easier to rev the upcall so that the kernel could ask gssd
> > > to do strict checking?  Since it's just a bunch of name=value pairs it
> > > shouldn't be a huge pain to revise.
> >
> > So what would trigger the kernel to ask for strict checking? Do we add a mount option that says “fail if the server doesn’t authenticate itself”? That would be hard to combine with security negotiation, since it only makes sense for RPCSEC_GSS authentication.
>
> I was thinking about only doing it in the state-establishment case.
> (Since we won't know how to authenticate the callbacks in that case.)
>
> But that would screw up krb5 mounts, I guess, never mind.
>
> Using a fqdn implicitly requests strict checking so a mount option would
> seem redundant.

So I guess we have two options to fix this:

1) Change gssd to require the canonical fqdn and not rely on name
resolution. Unfortunately, I think the MIT krb5 libs will still
canonicalize the hostnames by default, so this might not actually fix
anything. See:

    http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-devel/doc/admin/princ_dns.html

...or...

2) Loosen or somehow fix the check in check_gss_callback_principal().
One possibility might be to do a dns_resolver upcall for the host
portion of the SPN, and then compare the address with the server's
address. Ugly, but since we already trust DNS implicitly I guess it's
no less secure...

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>