Re: nfsd needs "md5", but fips=1 disables it -> hang

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:54:58 +1100
NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:11:32 -0700 Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:30:24 -0400

> > > Huh.
>
> And my email still didn't get to the list, but at least it got to Bruce.
> And you replies only got to be directly, not through the list!
> Very weird ... I wonder if I care....

That is odd. Might be worth talking to DaveM and company and seeing why
they're getting dropped...

> > Yes. As best I can tell, the primary purpose of FIPS is to render the
> > machine unusable for any non-trivial purpose. ;)
>
> I'd notice this wasn't the only thing that broke.  However it appear to be a
> thing that we want to support :-(
>

> > The story I have heard is that FIPS carves out an exemption for the use
> > of unapproved crypto as long as it stays "within the
> > implementation" (whatever that means).
>
> So it is probably ok to use md5 as long as we don't pretend that we are doing
> crypto (which we aren't)

Probably, yes... The other problem with FIPS is that it's apparently
filled with a lot of weasel-words so getting definitive answers for
this sort of thing is pretty tough.

> > The hashes aren't used outside the machine and they're not even
> > cryptographically significant. The kernel only uses it as a way to
> > squash the long-form clientid into something that it can use as a
> > directory name.
> >
> > In hindsight, the decision to use md5 for that purpose was
> > unfortunate...
>
> Isn't there a book about that .. "A series of unfortunate decisions" ...
>

> > > Right, it's used in v4recovery, so you'd lose client state when you
> > > rebooted the server to the new (SHA1-using) server.
> > >
> > > Our intention was to migrate people that care about FIPS to the umh
> > > upcall.  But rhel6 has a hack (a private md5 implementation).
> > >
> > > Cc'ing jlayton (currently traveling) who did that work.
> > >

> > Yep, exactly.
> >
> > For any newer kernels and nfs-utils, just use nfsdcltrack and don't
> > bother with the legacy code. Eventually I can forsee us getting rid of
> > the legacy client tracking.
>
> Where "newer" means .... Linux v3.8 and nfs-utils 1.2.7.
> I'll keep that in mind for future releases then, thanks.

> > For RHEL6 I just made a private md5 implementation. I had considered
> > switching it to sha1 instead, but the problem is that you'll lose
> > persistent state if you upgrade the kernel and it switches the hashing
> > implementation.
> >

> Sounds like a plan ... thanks for the help.

No problem. What I basically did was copy crypto/md5.c to the nfsd
directory and scrape out all of the crypto API goop. md5_transform() is
still available even when fips=1 is enabled. ;)

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>