Re: race-free exportfs and unmount?

On 03/21/2014 02:20 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:17:13PM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

Hi,

There was a linux-nfs thread in July 2012 with the subject "Linux
NFS and cached properties".  It discussed the fact that you can't
reliably do

exportfs -u 192.168.1.11:/mnt
umount /mnt

since there could be rpc users still running when exportfs returns,
so the umount fails thinking the filesystem is busy.

There could also be clients holding opens, locks, or delegations on the
export.

I'm running into this on a production system.

Was anything ever done to resolve this issue?
If not are there any workarounds?

You can shut down the server completely, unmount, and restart.

What is different with shutting down the server completely vs unexporting?

Does shutting down the server somehow wait for in-flight operations to complete whereas the unexport doesn't? I'm assuming that it can't just cancel in-progress disk I/O and as long as that's happening then we won't be able to unmount the filesystem.

Thanks,
Chris