Re: [nfs-utils RPC-PATCH 0/4] Add options to nfsd etc to avoid needing to write to /proc

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:58:34 -0400 Steve Dickson <SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I believe that the best was forward is to make this more standard.
> > I think the best way to do this is to teach various nfs utilities to use e.g.
> >   getenv("NFS_LISTEN_TCP")
> > to get defaults for various settings before parsing command line options.
> > Then whatever is used to run these utilities can
> >    source /etc/sysconfig/nfs
> > or
> >    EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/nfs
> > first.
> > Thus we have a ready-made configfile name, a ready-made configfile syntax,
> > and just need to agree on values can be set.
> I think this is a good idea... Which would override which? The command
> line override the environments? What should happen if neither are set?

Commandline should definitely over-ride environment or config file.
If neither is set we get some sensible default, just as you currently do if
you do nothing.

I noticed that rpc.nfsd always explicitly sets the version.  So if I echo
something to /proc/fs/nfsd/versions and then run rpc.nfsd, the versions will
be over-written.  I suspect that is reasonable behaviour.

Should e.g. nfs4gracetime be treated the same - always explicitly set
something.  Or should we just leave it unchanged.
The former is more consistent.  The later is backward compatible.
I lean toward the later which is what the current code does, but I thought it
was worth mentioning in case anyone disagrees.

Thanks,
NeilBrown