Re: DNOTIFY to INOTIFY migration

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:20:15 +0000 Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:21:02AM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:30:34 +0100 David Heidelberger
> > <david.heidelberger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > in linux kernel is DNOTIFY actually marked as deprecated, with superior
> > > replacement INOTIFY.
> >
> > Where is it marked as deprecated?  I would be very surprised if dnotify
> > wasn't supported indefinitely.
>
> Unfortunately, it will be - once it's in, it's in.
>
> > (I have no opinion on whether rpc.idmapd should be changed to use inotify,
> > except based on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle).
>
> I still don't understand WTF does rpc.imapd *want* either of those, TBH.

The rpc_pipefs filesysem which is mounted on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs creates
new channels for talking to userspace by making new pipes appear in some
directory.  Any client needs to arrange some notification for these new pipes
appearing so that it can open them and hold a conversation over them.
This calls for dnotify (in gssd and idmapd) or inotify (in blkmapd).

NeilBrown