Re: DNOTIFY to INOTIFY migration

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:55:15 +0100 David Heidelberger
<david.heidelberger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 2014-03-10 00:21, NeilBrown napsal:
> > On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:30:34 +0100 David Heidelberger
> > <david.heidelberger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> in linux kernel is DNOTIFY actually marked as deprecated, with
> >> superior
> >> replacement INOTIFY.
> >
> > Where is it marked as deprecated?  I would be very surprised if dnotify
> > wasn't supported indefinitely.
>

> Dnotify is a directory-based per-fd file change notification system
> 	  that uses signals to communicate events to user-space.  There exist
> 	  superior alternatives, but some applications may still rely on
> 	  dnotify.
>
> (fs/notify/dnotify/Kconfig)

The fact that the new alternatives are (supposedly) superior doesn't mean the
old are deprecated.

> In this moment, for modern systems I'm no aware of software actually
> using DNOTIFY.

I tend to use DNOTIFY because, much as I hate signals, it actually works with
python while python doesn't know about the new inotify systemcall (though I
know there is now some plug-in thing).
I suspect there is a lot of software that uses DNOTIFY that you don't know
about.

> Actually there is choice between INOTIFY and FSNOTIFY.
> >
> > (I have no opinion on whether rpc.idmapd should be changed to use
> > inotify,
> > except based on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle).
>
> Well, I'd like to propose build option which notify system include. It
> seems like *notify support reside only in rpc.idmapd, so it shouldn't be
> hard.

Feel free to post a patch.  You should make it clear how the change actually
benefits nfs-utils.  Make sure you don't use the word "deprecated" because
dnotify is *not* deprecated.

Thanks,
NeilBrown