Re: Optimal NFS mount options to safely allow interrupts and timeouts on newer kernels

On Mar 6, 2014, at 13:35, Andrew Martin <amartin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> From: "Jim Rees" <rees@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Why would a bunch of blocked apaches cause high load and reboot?
> What I believe happens is the apache child processes go to serve
> these requests and then block in uninterruptable sleep. Thus, there
> are fewer and fewer child processes to handle new incoming requests.
> Eventually, apache would normally kill said children (e.g after a
> child handles a certain number of requests), but it cannot kill them
> because they are in uninterruptable sleep. As more and more incoming
> requests are queued (and fewer and fewer child processes are available
> to serve the requests), the load climbs.

Does ‘top’ support this theory? Presumably you should see a handful of non-sleeping apache threads dominating the load when it happens.

Why is the server becoming ‘unavailable’ in the first place? Are you taking it down?