Temporary hangs when using locking with apache+nfsv4

Hi,
I'm experimenting with using NFSv4 as storage for web servers and while regular file access seems to work fine as soon as I bring flock() into play things become more problematic. I've create a tiny test php script that basically opens a file, locks it using flock(), writes that fact into a log file (on a local filesystem), performs a usleep(1000), writes into the log that it is about to unlock the file and finally unlocks it. I invoke that script using ab with a concurrency of 20 for a few thousand requests.

The result is that while 99% of the request respond quickly a few request seem to hang for up to 30 seconds. According to the log file they must eventually succeed since I see all expected entries and the locking seems to work as well since all entries are in the expected order.

Is it expected that these long delays happen? When I comment the locking function out these hangs disappear. Are there some knobs to tune NFS and make it behave better in these situations?

Regards,
  Dennis