Re: [nfs-utils RPC-PATCH 0/4] Add options to nfsd etc to avoid needing to write to /proc

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:11:47 -0500 Trond Myklebust
<trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 1:36, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > There are a number of NFS-related setting that currently must be set
> > by writing to various files under /proc.
> > This is a bit clumsy, particularly for systemd unit files.
> >
> > So this series adds options to a number of commands where relevant.
> >
> > The first two (rdma, and  nfsv4{grace,lease}time) I am quite comfortable with.
> > The third (nlm grace time) I think is probably right but if someone can argue
> > an alternate approach I'm unlikely to resist.
> > The fourth is .... uhm.  You better look yourself.
> >
> > Part of me thinks that nlm port numbers should be set in /etc/sysctl.conf (or sysctl.d)
> > and /etc/modprobe.d should have something like
> >
> > install lockd  sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.d/lockd
> >
> > but last time I tried that it broke "modprobe --show-depends".
> > Also it is awkward to get setting from /etc/sysconfig/nfs into /etc/sysctl.d/lockd
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Why not just do most of this at module load time with something like "modprobe lockd lockd.nlm_grace_period=<nsecs> lockd.nlm_tcpport=<portnr> …”?
> Better yet, add/edit appropriate entries in /etc/modprobe.conf.d at system setup time.

Adding entries to /etc/modprobe.conf.d doesn't help if nfs is compiled in to
the base kernel.
Conversely, adding entries to /etc/sysctl.d doesn't help if nfs is a module.
You could conceivable do both (for those few values that are available both
as module parameters and sysctl settings) but that is clumsy and error prone.

Your argument could equally well apply to setting the NFS versions that nfsd
supports, but we have explicit command-line arguments for that.

Due to the highly ad-hoc collection of configuration settings and different
ways to set them and rules for when they are set, I think it is best to have
the settings imposed by code we control rather than requiring a similarly
ad-hoc collection of additions to various configuration files in various
directories.

Ultimately I would like all nfs-utils daemons to take settings out
of /etc/sysconfig/nfs (either by reading it directly, or having systemd/bash
load it into the environment, then the utils using getenv()), so that one
file (which multiple distros already work with) can configure most of
nfs-utils.  This is a step in that direction with (I think) immediate rewards.

Thanks,

NeilBrown