Question ref Running NFS at V4 Only

Hi,

I'm trying to run NFS with protocol version 4 only (that is, with v2 & v3 disabled) on a CentOS 6.5 install running as a KVM guest.

The RedHat documentation (amongst others) states that rpcbind isn't needed with v4, but if I start nfs without rpcbind I get errors.

I've spent a couple of days (on and off) on Google trying to get an answer and have posted on the CentOS forum, but the nearest I can find is an archive on this mailing list from over two years ago (and it's not identical):-

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg16907.html

In /etc/sysconfig/nfs I have:-

MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V3="no"

RPCNFSDARGS="-N 2 -N 3"

When I attempt to start NFS either using the init scripts or manually with:-

rpc.nfsd -N 2 -N 3

I get:-

rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 111 (Connection refused)
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd

The mailing list archive's answer was that the kernel was too old, so I installed 3.10.24 from elrepo but the symptom doesn't change.

If I start rpcbind, then everything works, but as far as I can see, I shouldn't have to do that unless I'm supporting v2 & v3.

Finally, please accept my apologies for wasting your time if I've missed something obvious.

Kind regards,

Gareth