Re: rpc.mountd high cpu usage

On , J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>I think what happens is that exportfs flushes the kernel's export cache
>at which point every use of an uncached export triggers an upcall to
>mountd.  That upcall is probably visible in the strace as a read of a
>file descriptor associated with /proc/net/sunrpc/nfsd.fh/content.
>
>That upcall is handled by nfs-utils/utils/mountd/cache.c:nfsd_fh(),
>which is given a filehandle fragment identifying the filesystem in
>question and has to match it to an export.
>
>That's done by match_fsid().  Which does do a stat of the export path,
>but not of all the devices....  That's probably happening in one of the
>libblkid calls in uuid_by_path()?  I wonder if there's something wrong
>with libblkid configuration or with the way we're using it?

Is there any way I can help getting this fixed? My coding skills are
limited but I am very willing to help in any way I can.

I wonder if ltrace could help determine if libblkid is where most of
those stat's are coming from (and if so, which calls)?

May also be worth reading up on libblkid (man libblkid, etc.) and
checking your configuration to make sure there's nothing obvious broken
there.  (If so, maybe the libblkid commandline tools would exhibit the
same problem?)

I didn't have any config in /etc/blkid.conf and the manpage says it will use EVALUATE=udev,scan which in fact scans through all the /dev/disk/by-* dirs and parses the /proc/partitions. I put 'EVALUATE=scan' in /etc/blkid.conf but that doesn't help. I restarted anything NFS related...

I also attached ltrace to the rpc.mountd process. The output of the trace is at http://pastebin.com/ika1Vetq . I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The ltrace is done on a server with only 10 harddisks but the strace showed the same behavour of newfstatat-ing every disk in a lot of ways.

Greets,

Sander