Re: librpcsecgss: FTBFS on GNU/kFreeBSD

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 08:41:27 -0500 Trond Myklebust <trondmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 8:23, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > [adding back Anibal, and adding Steinar as tirpc maintainer for Debian]
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 01:14:47PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> >> But I'm looking at tirpc/rpc/auth_gss.h.  Both libraries provide roughly
> >> the same API.  And I'm able to build a working GSS-enabled version of
> >> rpc.fedfsd and clients.  "git log" tells me src/auth_gss.c and
> >> tirpc/rpc/auth_gss.h have been in libtirpc since at least 0.1.7.
> >>
> >> libtirpc applications currently have to link explicitly with
> >> libgssapi_krb5 (provided by MIT Kerberos), AFAICT, to get GSS support.
> >

> >> MIT Kerberos provides libgssapi_krb5.
> >>
> >> libtirpc provides the RPCSEC APIs based on the Kerberos v5 mechanism provided in libgssapi_krb5.
> >>
> >> librpcsecgss provides RPCSEC APIs based on the GSSAPI Kerberos v5 mechanism provided in libgssglue, which is deprecated.
> >
> > So what's actually still using librpcsecgss and libgssglue?
> >
> > There is no rdepends for librpcsecgss on my Debian -stable system,
> > and I couldn't find any obvious user for unstable either.  For
> > libgssglue1 -stable has a few consumers:
> >
> > nfs-common
> > libtirpc1
> > librpcsecgss3
> > libgssglue-dev
> > libgssapi-krb5-2
> >
> > libgssapi-krb5-2 seems to have dropped the libgssglue dependency in
> > unstable, but the others still seem to be be around.
>
> I thought that Debian installs the Heimdal kerberos libraries by default. Does it have the gssapi hooks?
>
> > How does the situation look for Fedora and SuSE?
>
> Fedora’s nfs-utils RPM lists a dependency on ‘libgssapi_krb5.so.2()(64bit)' and 'libgssapi_krb5.so.2(gssapi_krb5_2_MIT)(64bit)', so it uses the gssapi from the MIT kerberos libraries.
>
> Not sure about SuSE, but I believe they use MIT kerberos too. Neil Brown would know.

openSUSE is actually a bit of a mess right now as we have libtirpc compiled
with libgssglue support and that just doesn't work with a modern krb5. I'm
glad to see that support is being removed!!  (I'm working on getting this
fixed, but there are "issues" ;-( ).

But while we still seem to package librpcsecgss, nfs-utils doesn't bind
against it.  It uses libgssapi_krb5 just like Fedora.

NeilBrown