Re: XATTRs in NFS?

On 10/28/2013 06:26 PM, Myklebust, Trond wrote:

That battle may have been fought and won within the glusterfs community, but why should we wave the white flag without a discussion? I don't see how what he described above has anything to do with user defined attributes. He's describing how he wants to export quota information and xtime through a private xattr interface that is currently unique to glusterfs. How is that not a private syscall interface?

Exposing quota informtion is use "from the top". Note the other point I mention about using NFS volumes as "gluster bricks" where we store xattrs as dumb and persistent key/values associated with file/dir inodes (fresh/stale info for replication, hash ranges for dirs, quota acconting info per-dir, xtime per dir).

Which of the mainstream filesystems have their own private xattr namespaces like the above?

Why should NFS need to worry? As long as it acts like a pass-through (like every other call it supports).

Avati