Re: Issues with a rather unusual configured NFS server

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:37:40AM -0400, Marc Meledandri wrote:
>> I was pointed at this thread by the linux-ext4 folks as relevant to my
>> issue on kernels in
>> the 3.10.x series. I see this commit was tagged for 3.12-rc2 on git,
>> and wondering if it will be
>> rebased for previous kernels? Maybe my issue (oops at shutdown) is
>> caused by something
>> else entirely? Thanks!
>
> That patch probably should have been cc'd to stable for kernels since
> 3.10....
>
> Do you have a reproduceable test case?  Would it be possible for you to
> confirm that this fixes your problem if applied on top of 3.10.x?
>
> --b.

Thanks for replying. Regarding confirmation, the patch does not apply
cleanly to 3.10.x kernels, but needs to be backported/rebased. I began
that process, as it's a small patch, but didn't want to step on, or
conflict with other changes that hadn't been merged yet from the
latest nfs codebase if such changes are forthcoming.

Regarding STR, I was seeing this on vanilla kernels 3.10.10 and
3.10.11 on shutdown (hangs with oops), and didn't pin down the exact
conditions. I have the simplest of nfs setups with a single
export/mount point and single client. I've recently built 3.10.13 with
no patches and will try to reproduce the oops. I think I need to leave
a client connected during shutdown.

Will follow up with more info...