Re: why does nfsd write not use splice

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48:18AM +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2013, at 7:01 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Encryption certainly can be a problem, but integrity isn't
> > necessarily one.
> >
> > Basically the idea would be to receive the data off the socket into
> > a set of pages and then splice those into the correct spot in the
> > local file. In both the privacy and integrity cases, you just have
> > an extra step in between. Privacy *may* mean an extra copy too
> > (though some of the crypto routines can decrypt data in place), but
> > handling integrity shouldn't.
> >
> > The tricky parts (I think) are determining how to lay out the
> > received data into the pages you eventually want to splice into the
> > file before you receive that data in, and how to deal with it when
> > the WRITE doesn't cover an entire page.
>
> Once you've copied the data one time, most of the advantage of
> splice() is gone, since a copy will then exist in processor cache
> memory and can be duplicated quickly.

Well, worst case you could turn it off in krb5i/krb5p cases and maybe
still get some benefit in the auth_sys case?

I suspect it will be a fair amount of work just to get enough of a
prototype up that you can start to measure the benefit (if any).  So
this isn't going to happen without someone pretty committed to the idea.

(And such a person would be better off starting by describing the actual
probem they're trying to solve before jumping to the conclusion that
splice is the solution.)

--b.