Re: [nfsv4] unsupported mandatory server features

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:49:39PM +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> [...]

Yes, I think you're right, I'll try that now!

> > 	- GSS on the backchannel: currently CREATE_SESSION or
> > 	  BACKCHANNEL_CTL will succeed but SEQUENCE will start returning
> > 	  with the CB_DOWN flag set.  I would rather return an error
> > 	  immediately than make the client guess what's going on in
> > 	  recovery.
> >
> > 	  Could I get away with returning ENC_ALG_UNSUPP here too?  It's
> > 	  not entirely logical, but it's also currently illegal for
> > 	  these two operations so its use wouldn't be confused with some
> > 	  other.
>
> Why not return NFS4ERR_NOENT to tell the client that the handle does not exist?

Imagine a client and server both support gss on the backchannel.  The
most likely cause I can think of (bugs aside) for a NFS4ERR_NOENT return
in that case is that the server just purged that context from its cache
for some reason.  It would then seem reasonable for the client to
attempt to recover by establishing a new context and resending with the
new handle.

How would the client distinguish between that case and "sorry, gss on
the backchannel will never work"?

I guess if the server was replying NOENT to a handle over which that
very call was sent then maybe it'd be safe for the client to assume the
latter case.

It seems a little subtle.

--b.