Re: NFS client hangs after server reboot

> Just to clarify/correct what I posted yesterday...
> The boot instance is the first 4 bytes of the clientid and the first
> 4 bytes of the stateid.other. (Basically, for the FreeBSD server, a
> stateid.other is just the clientid + 4 additional bytes that identify
> which stateid related to the clientid that it is.)
>
> Those first 4 bytes should be the same for all clientids/stateid.others
> issued during a server boot cycle. Any clientid/stateid.other with a
> different first 4 bytes will get the NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID/STATEID
> reply.

Thanks for the clarification. I tried to reproduce the problem using a
test setup but so far I didn't succeed. It's clearly not a problem
that happens all the time. Also not all the clients lock up in the
production system. Only a fraction of them (~ 1 in 10).

I checked the packets again. The Stateid in a read operation is:
9a:b6:5d:51:bc:07:00:00:24:23:00:00
The client id:
af:c1:63:51:8b:01:00:00

It seems we ended up with a stale stateid but with a valid client id.

I am going to do some more tests with mutiple clients to try to
reproduce the problem. If that doesn't succeed I try to get the data
from the production server when we have to reboot it next time (but
this can take a while).

Thanks,
Bram