Re: synchronous AF_LOCAL connect

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:32:41PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 17:27 +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 12:04 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, but AF_LOCAL is supposed to be a generic transport for RPC.  This is not a feature we just made up, it's actually a well-defined API that exists on other platforms (it's even specified in RFCs).  Right now I would hesitate to restrict the use of AF_LOCAL upcalls to only synchronous contexts, because eventually we may want to use the transport in asynchronous contexts.
> >
> > The whole problem is that it is a piss-poorly defined feature in an
> > asynchronous kernel context.
> >
> > Sockets carry around a well defined net namespace context that allow
> > them to resolve IP addresses. However they carry none of the file
> > namespace context information that is required to make sense of AF_LOCAL
> > "addresses".
> >
> > IOW we have 3 options:
> >
> >      1. Drop AF_LOCAL support altogether
> >      2. Add file namespace context to the RPC or socket layers
> >      3. Drop asynchronous support, so that we have a reliable
> >         userspace-defined context.
> >
> > 1) involves a user space api change, which will bring down the iron fist
> > of the Finn.
> > 2) involves cooperation from the VFS and socket folks which doesn't seem
> > to be happening.
> >
> > so that leaves (3), which is perfectly doable since we do _not_ want to
> > expose the rpc layer to anything outside the kernel. It's not intended
> > as a generic libtirpc...
> >
> > > If we were to go with using a synchronous connect, however, I think there should be some kind of safety check to make sure the xs connect function is not being invoked from an asynchronous context.  This is a restriction that does not exist for other transports supported by the kernel RPC client, so it should be underscored in the code.
> >
> > void xs_connect_local(struct rpc_task *task)
> > {
> > 	if (RPC_IS_ASYNC(task))
> > 		rpc_exit(task, -ENOTCONN);
> > }
> >
> > ...done.
> >

> This seems the most reasonable approach to me too, and makes the code
> simpler for now.

OK, I've added that check and fixed some other bugs (thanks to Chuck for
some help in IRC).

I think that gets rpcbind working in containers fine.

gss-proxy has one more problem: it needs to do upcalls from nfsd threads
which won't have the right filesystem namespace.

I get a write from gss-proxy when it starts and can do an initial
connect then using its context.  But if we disconnect after that I'm
stuck.

Does it cause any problems if I just set the idle_timeout to 0 for
AF_LOCAL?

--b.