Re: NFSv4 cannot unmount ESTALE directories (in some cases).

On 01/21/13 08:39, Al Viro wrote:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 01:48:59PM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
If you use NFSv4 to "mount server:/foo/bar /mnt", then "rm -r" /foo/bar on the
server, then accesses to /mnt will naturally return ESTALE.

Unfortunately "umount /mnt" will also return ESTALE and leave the stale
directory mounted.  Adding "-l" or "-f" to "umount" doesn't help.

The problem is that nfs_lookup_revalidate fails.  As the mountpoint is never
not accessed by a lookup (after the initial mount) it seems a bit pointless
calling d_revalidate in this case ... by maybe not.

I can make the problem go away by testing for LOOKUP_JUMP and having
nfs_lookup_revalidate never fail if that flag it set (for a directory).
However I cannot easily tell if this is an elegant solution of an ugly hack,
The latter.  Definitely.

and am hoping that someone who understands revalidation and LOOKUP_JUMPED
better than I (who only discovered the latter today) could provide advice.

Al?  Trond?  Should  I make this into a formal patch submission, or is there
a better way?
I really suspect that mountpoint crossing on umount ought to be done
differently.  I'll need to play with possible variants a bit before I can
offer any replacement though...