Re: Fatal crash with NFS, AIO & tcp retransmit

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 15:50 +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 15:01 +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> > Trond,
> >
> > --On 21 January 2013 14:38:20 +0000 "Myklebust, Trond"
> > <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > The Oops would be due to a bug in the socket layer: the socket is
> > > supposed to take a reference count on the page in order to ensure that
> > > it can copy the contents.
> >
> > Looking at the original linux-nfs link, you said here:
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=122424789508577&w=2
> >
> > Trond:> I don't see how this could be an RPC bug. The networking
> > Trond:> layer is supposed to either copy the data sent to the socket,
> > Trond:> or take a reference to any pages that are pushed via
> > Trond:> the ->sendpage() abi.
> >
> > which sounds suspiciously like the same thing.
> >
> > The conversation then went:
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=122424858109731&w=2
> > Ian:> The pages are still referenced by the networking layer. The problem is
> > Ian:> that the userspace app has been told that the write has completed so
> > Ian:> it is free to write new data to those pages.
> >
> > To which you replied:
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=122424984612130&w=2
> > Trond:> OK, I see your point.
>
> The original thread did not AFAICR involve an Oops. If you are seeing an
> Oops, then that is something new and would be a socket level bug.

The oops would be Xen specific, in the case where on native you would
touch the buffer after a write completed and potentially resend changed
data on Xen you would see an unmapped addresss.

The underlying issue is the same, just the consequence on Xen is a bit
more obvious.

[...]
> > I don't think QEMU is actually using O_DIRECT unless I set cache=none
> > on the drive. That causes a different interesting failure which isn't
> > my focus just now!
>
> Then your reference to Ian's bug is a red herring.

Agreed, if there is no zero copy going on then this is a separate issue.

Ian.