Re: NFS access slow

> What are your disks?

They are Enterprise Nearline 6Gb/s SAS drives in an Infortrend disk array.

>  How exactly are you getting those numbers?
> (Literally, step-by-step, what commands are you running?)

Using postmark:

pm> set location /mnt/tmp
pm> set size 10000 10000000
pm> run

The only difference is the 'set location' line, which points to either the
NFS mountpoint or the local mountpoint.

A test using dd ("dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/tmp bs=1M count=8192") gave a
difference of about five times faster for direct access versus access via
NFS.

> What kernel version?

3.2

> Note loopback-mounts (client and server on same machine) aren't really
> fully supported.

OK, I wasn't aware of that. We were only testing that way to try to
eliminate switches, cables, etc. I've just run a test from another server,
both connected via 10G links, and I'm getting a read speed of just under
20BM/s and a write speed of 52MB/s.