Re: idmapd doesn't map if the name (user or group) contains UTF8 characters

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 03:59:34PM +0530, Suresh Jayaraman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While investigating a bug report from our customer where NFSv4 name to
> id mapping fails on the NFSv4 client (and maps to 'nobody') if a user or
> group name contains non-ASCII characters (in this case it was Umlaut
> characters) figured out we limit the characters to ASCII.
>
> We seem to do this intentionally in utils/idmapd/idmapd.c: imconv()

>         case IDMAP_CONV_NAMETOID:
>                 if (validateascii(im->im_name, sizeof(im->im_name)) == -1) {
>                         im->im_status |= IDMAP_STATUS_INVALIDMSG;
>                         return;
>                 }
>
> with the validateacsii() function. I'm not sure why we had to limit the
> characters in the NFSv4 domain name to ASCII only. If I have to guess:
>
>    - perhaps it is risky because the shell might expand some characters?
>    - Non-ASCII characters might have trouble between sharing systems
>      that may use different encodings
>    - to remain consistent with the tools like `groupadd' which considers
>      a name with these characters as Invalid names (not sure why
>      `groupadd' does so)
>

> However, there seems to be a valid use case for allowing such
> characters. For e.g. If Active Directory or LDAP is being used for
> authentication, both of them seem to allow Umlaut characters. When used
> together with such directory services, idmapd would end up mapping those
> users or groups to 'nobody'.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) What is the reason behind not allowing non-ASCII characters?

I don't know why it's there either.  I don't think there's any reason
the kernel or other NFS code needs the check.

> 2) Is the limitation historical and is not relevant now? In such case
>    can we remove this check?
> 3) Would it make sense to allow atleast some UTF-8 characters that may
>    be non-risky?

I'd suggest just throwing away the check.

Even if we were to check for something else (like UTF-8, which is what
the v4 specs actually want), idmapd doesn't seem like the right place to
enforce restrictions on names.  Once the system has allowed a name it's
too late to be complaining about it here.

--b.