Re: Labeled NFS [v5]

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 08:50:55AM -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On the SELinux side, we don't require CAP_MAC_ADMIN to set the
> SELinux attribute on a file in the normal case, only when the
> SELinux attribute is not known to the security policy yet.  So
> granting CAP_MAC_ADMIN there means that a client will be able to set
> security contexts on files that are unknown to the server.  I guess
> that might even be desirable in some instances where client and
> server policy are different.

Note (as you probably know) this first pass at labeled NFS only lets us
label files, not rpc calls--if we want the server to know who's doing
something (beyond the information the rpc headers already carry), we'll
need to implement rpcsec_gss v3, and that's a project for another day.

I've been assuming that makes server-side enforcement less useful for
now.

--b.