Re: NFSd threads amount policy in containers context

27.11.2012 02:08, bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx пишет:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 08:09:01PM +0400, Stanislav Kinsbursky wrote:
Hello.
I would like to discuss how to control NFSd threads amount from
container environment (is this particular case it means start of NFS
server in network namespace different to init_net).

So, I see three possible policies (let's assume, that there are two containers - one requested 3 NFSd threads and another one - 4 NFSd threads):
1) start as many threads, as requested. I.e 7 threads for specified
case (simplest case, but probably this is to much - 100 containers
will start ~800 threads by default).
2) start maximum number of requested threads. I.e. 4 threads for
specified case (if NFSd server in container, requested 4 threads,
will be stopped, then 3 thread will left working; will require some
way to manage - rb tree of sorted list).
3) There could be some other (more flexible) policy: combine second
one with running of one more thread for each second and further
network namespace, started NFS server. I.e.:
1 net ns: 3 threads request = 3 threads started
2 net ns: 4 threads request = 4 + 1 (per-net thread: 1 net ns) = 5 threads started
3 net ns: 8 threads request = 8 + 2 (per-net threads: 2 net ns) = 10 threads started

Bruce and community, what do you think about all this?

I agree that options 2 or 3 seem more likely to be optimal.

However, looking at the problems with, for example, getting race-free
shutdown correct: I'd *strongly* prefer that we start with 1, because I
think it will be simplest to get right.

I'd rather put off figuring out how to scale to hundreds of containers
until after we demonstrate something simple and obviously correct.

Ok. Then I think we could implement even a better and simpler solution:
make the whole nfsd_serv per network namespace.
This solution is easy to implement, non-racy on shutdown and will give us a rather easy way to apply scheduler policy to NFSd threads (this will be most probably required in future).
Does it sounds good to you?

--
Best regards,
Stanislav Kinsbursky