Should "mount -o proto=udp" be usable against an IPv6 only server?

It seems that with current nfs-utils, "proto=udp" (either
in /etc/nfsmount.conf or on the command line) restricts the mount to using
IPv4, not IPv6.
For IPv6 you need "udp6".

This isn't made crystal clear by the documentation.  I could fix the
documentation, but first I wanted to check if this really is appropriate.
Is there a good reason for this, or should we make "udp" mean "udp4 or udp6"
and require either "udp4" or "udp6" if we want a particular IP version.

i.e. instead of treating the "proto=" value as a "netid", should we treat it
as a "protoname" and match any "netid" in /etc/netconfig with that
"protoname"??

Thanks,
NeilBrown