RE: What is NFSv4 READDIR doesn't return a filehandle....

The filehandle attribute is a mandatory attribute according to RFC3530, so I believe that the answer is "no".

> A consequence of this is that Linux/NFS gets confused.
> nfs_readdir_page_filler calls nfs_prime_dcache() (because it was a readdir
> plus request that was sent) and nfs_prime_dcache goes ahead and creates
> an inode based on the filehandle that it has.
> However decode_attr_filehandle() had happily decoded nothing as the
> FATTR4_WORD0_FILEHANDLE bit wasn't set.
> So the inode gets created with a zero-length filehandle and when this gets
> sent back to the server to act on the inode, it gets NFS4ERR_BADHANDLE to
> the PUTFH op.
>
> So should nfs_prime_dcache() abort if the filehandle doesn't exist (patch
> below) or should nfs_fhget() return an error if the filehandle is empty?
>
> Or maybe this behaviour should be detected and readdir should be disabled
> for that server?

I don't want to have to code the client to deal with broken servers. If we start down that path, then we'll end up doing nothing else.

I can, however, see a case for extending the "nordirplus" mount option to cover NFSv4. Currently it only acts on NFSv3 mounts...

Cheers
  Trond