Re: NFS4: ssh + unlink(~/.Xauthority) delays

Sven Geggus wrote:

  Hello,

  I'm about to setup a Linux based fileserver for home directories and a
  couple of Linux clients with kerberos and NFS4 (no NFS3 for security
  reasons).

  The whole stuff is currently based on debian stable (with a backported
  current NFS userland 1.2.5) and a recent vanilla kernel (3.5.2).

  So far I have the NFS4 Server up and running as well as a couple of clients
  with NFS4+autofs mounted home directories.

  All this stuff mostly works now, but unfortunately I ran into some strange
  bahaviour now.

  When I ssh from one machine to another the system hangs (a delay of up to 60
  seconds) while running xauth.

  Replacing xauth by a wrapper script I have been able to trace this behaviour
  to a hang of an unlink("/home/<user>/.Xauthority") system call.

  So the question is what cases hangs in NFS4 based Linux systems in general
  an in this particular case?

No, the question is why did X put that file in your home directory.  That's
not where it belongs.  I've got this in my .xinitrc:

setenv XAUTHORITY /tmp/Xauthority`id -u`