Re: NFS4ERR_DELAY (was: NFS4: ssh + unlink(~/.Xauthority) delays)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:19:03 +0000 (UTC)
Sven Geggus <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sven Geggus <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So the question is what cases hangs in NFS4 based Linux systems in general
> > an in this particular case?
>
> Digging this down a little bit further using wireshark I figured out that
> the server responds to the REMOVE .Xauthority call with an NFS4ERR_DELAY for
> whatever reason.
>
> This is a currently a test-machine with one single user and next to zero
> load.
>
> So I will probably need a hint on how to debug the server behaviour, as a
> NFS4ERR_DELAY response is definitely not expected in this case.
>
> Sven

It's often the case that this indicates a problem communicating over
the callback channel. For instance, the server is trying to recall a
delegation but the client isn't responding, so the server has to wait
until the recall attempt times out before proceeding.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>