Re: NFSv4 backchannel authentication

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:53:01 +0000 "Myklebust, Trond"
<Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 10:45 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> > > Absolutely not! Just thinking why we did not notice the problem earlier ...
> >
> > I wonder if there's anything we could do to make this more automatic,
> > though: e.g., perhaps whichever scripts are launching one of the gss
> > daemons should be replaced by one that launches both, since that's
> > generally what you'll want for NFSv4.0.  (Not necessary for other
> > versions, but it doesn't hurt much.)
> >
> > Or perhaps they could be started on demand somehow.
>
> How is this any different to requiring that the user start rpc.statd
> before launching an NFSv3 mount? Just document the requirement if it
> isn't already clear enough, and we can move on.

'mount.nfs' checks if statd is running and will start it if it isn't ....
which will probably annoy systemd as it likes to keep daemons in their own
little box.  I guess systemd can be configured to register as statd and
auto-start it on the first 'are you there' request.

Could the same thing be done with rpc.svcgssd?  Get it to auto-start either
by mount.nfs checking and running something, or by systemd pre-registering
the RPC port or something?

NeilBrown