Re: Possible bug in NFSv4 server regarding to looking for right path for clients to mount

Thanks Bruce.

The error was raised when I was executing fish-shell simultaneously
from 32 nodes. The fish-shell requires several configuration/function
files which were placed on NFS.

It seems that the problem might be caused by network instead of
/export. Later I moved mounting from /etc/fstab to /etc/rc.local and
since then I've never seen the problem again, no matter NFSv4 or
NFSv2.

Out of curiosity, I moved mounting configuration back to /etc/fstab
again, and the same problem occurred again. Among those clients that
failed to load files, some failed to mount, which is probably because
the NFS was up later than DHCP. However, there are some that succeeded
to mount the NFS, but still failed to load some of the files. (They
did succeed to load some files, but not all.) For these nodes, if I
open a new window (in tmux), and execute the fish-shell again (without
remounting NFS), everything just works.

This is still quite strange and I could not think of an explaination.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 01:11:39AM -0500, Song Gao wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > There's possibly a bug related NFSv4 server's behavior on looking for
> > path on /export .
> >
> > I have a 32 nodes KVM cluster. NFS, host filesystem, KVM storage pool,
> > are all placed on SSD. KVM guests are connected to host through virtio
> > drived GB ethernet.
> >
> > I followed this guide to configure NFS:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
> >
> > The problem was that, when I execute a program simultaneously (through
> > cssh) on 32 nodes, there were always a number of nodes that
> > encountered "input/output error". The /var/log/messages on client
> > shows "state manager failed on NFSv4 server with error 10022".
>
> That's NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID.
>
> That's an odd thing to happen.  I'd be curious to know which operation
> exactly the server was returning that error to.  Normally that should
> only happen if the server rebooted.
>
> > I tried different options in client /etc/fstab as well as export
> > settings in server but nothing helps. Interestingly, by changing the
> > item in /etc/fstab from:
> >     some-host:/tigers  nfs    rw,bg,hard,intr    0    0
> > into:
> >     some-host:/export/tigers    /nfs    nfs    rw,bg,hard,intr    0    0
> > fixed the problem.
>
> The advice to use "fsid=0" in the ubuntu howto is out of date.  With a
> recent server you should just export and mount /export/tigers as you
> would with NFSv3.
>
> If you do as you've done above (and as is sugested in that howto), then
> clients see different paths depending on whether they're using v3 or v4.
>
> When you changed the client to mount /export/tigers, it probably
> couldn't find that path, so tried v3 instead.  That works around the v4
> bug.
It turned out to be NFSv2 on client. (I used nfsstat). I also noticed
that, for NFSv4 it mshows as "Client fps stats" without indication v4.
Is this normal?