Re: [RFC] NFSd laundromat containerization

On Tue, 15 May 2012 09:40:08 -0400
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2012 13:00:17 +0400
> Stanislav Kinsbursky <skinsbursky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Actually, ownerstr and lockowner_ino should also both be per-container.
> > >
> > > So it's only file and del_recall_lru that should be global.  (And
> > > del_recall_lru might work either way, actually.)

> > > Sounds about right.
> > >

> > Bruce, Jeff, I've implemented these per-net hashes and lists (file hash and
> > del_recall_lru remains global).
> > But now I'm confused with locking.
> >
> > For example, let's consider file hash and del_recall_lru lists.
> > It looks like they are protected by recall_lock. But in
> > nfsd_forget_delegations() this lock is not taken. Is it a bug?
>
> It looks like a bug to me. If another thread is modifying the
> file_hashtbl while you're calling nfsd_forget_delegations, then you
> could oops here.
>
> Perhaps we only ever modify that table while holding the state mutex in
> which case the code won't oops, but the recall lock seems rather
> superfluous at that point.
>
> I'd have to unwind the locking and see...
>
> > If yes and recall_lock is used for file hash protection, then why do we need to
> > protect nfsd_process_n_delegations() by nfs4_un/lock_state() calls?
> >
> > Actually, the problem I'm trying to solve is to replace global client_lock by
> > per-net one where possible. But I don't clearly understand, what it protects.
> >
> > Could you, guys, clarify the state locking to me.
> >

> I wish I could -- I'm still wrapping my brain around it too...

Ok, yeah that is a bug AFAICT.

You really need to hold the recall_lock while walking that list, but
that makes unhash_delegation tricky -- it can call fput and iput which
can block (right?).

One possibility is to just have the loop move the entries to a private
list. Then you can walk that list w/o holding the lock and do
deleg_func on each entry.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>