Re: extremely slow nfs when sync enabled

On 07/05/12 17:18, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

>>> Thanks for the feedback about these options, I am going to look at these
>>> strategies more closely
>>>

>> I decided to try and take md and LVM out of the picture, I tried two
>> variations:
>>
>> a) the boot partitions are not mirrored, so I reformatted one of them as
>> ext4,
>> - enabled write-cache for the whole of sdb,
>> - mounted ext4, barrier=1,data=ordered
>> - and exported this volume over NFS
>>
>> unpacking a large source tarball on this volume, iostat reports write
>> speeds that are even slower, barely 300kBytes/sec
>
> How many file creates per second?

I ran:
nfsstat -s -o all -l -Z5
and during the test (unpacking the tarball), I see numbers like these
every 5 seconds for about 2 minutes:

nfs v3 server        total:      319
------------- ------------- --------
nfs v3 server      getattr:        1
nfs v3 server      setattr:      126
nfs v3 server       access:        6
nfs v3 server        write:       61
nfs v3 server       create:       61
nfs v3 server        mkdir:        3
nfs v3 server       commit:       61

I decided to expand the scope of my testing too, I want to rule out the
possibility that my HP Microserver with onboard SATA is the culprit.  I
set up two other NFS servers (all Debian 6, kernel 2.6.38):

HP Z800 Xeon workstation
Intel Corporation 82801 SATA RAID Controller (operating as AHCI)
VB0250EAVER (250GB 7200rpm)

Lenovo Thinkpad X220
Intel Corporation Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
SSDSA2BW160G3L  (160GB SSD)

Both the Z800 and X220 run as NFSv3 servers
Each one has a fresh 10GB logical volume formatted ext4,
mount options: barrier=1,data=ordered
write cache (hdparm -W 1): enabled

Results:
NFS client: X220
NFS server: Z800 (regular disk)
iostat reports about 1,000kbytes/sec when unpacking the tarball
This is just as slow as the original NFS server

NFS client: Z800
NFS server: X220 (SSD disk)
iostat reports about 22,000kbytes/sec when unpacking the tarball

It seems that buying a pair of SSDs for my HP MicroServer will let me
use NFS `sync' and enjoy healthy performance - 20x faster.

However, is there really no other way to get more speed out of NFS when
using the `sync' option?